|Posted on 13 February, 2019 at 0:50|
What should you expect during a massage?
- The massage therapist will ask questions about what prompted you to get a massage.
- The massage therapist will want background information about your physical condition, medical history, lifestyle, stress levels and any painful areas.
- The massage therapist will ask what your health goals are and will discuss how massage may help you achieve those goals.
- During a one-on-one massage, you will be asked to remove clothing to your level of comfort. The therapist will keep areas not being worked on covered with a provided sheet and blanket. (Clothing is not removed during a chair massage, or Thai Massage.)
What should you expect after a massage?
Massage may help ease your pain, most Canadians are all too familiar with back pain. There can be countless trips to the doctor, chiropractor, physiotherapist, pain medications, sleepless nights and the burden of making it through the day while enduring pain.
Research has shown massage therapy can:
- Be effective for chronic back pain especially when used in conjuction with complementary therapies.
- Promote relaxation and alleviate the perception of pain and anxiety.
- Reduce headaches and migraines.
- Lessen pain and muscle spasms within an injured muscle group.
- Stimulate the brain to produce endorphins.
- Improve confidence by encouraging patients to effectively cope with their pain.
- Increase endorphin levels.
Back pain is a common ailment; however, people may get better within a few weeks through massages. Massage is known to improve blood flow and eases tension, thus providing relaxation to muscles. While gentle massages are pleasurable, it does not necessarily offer relief to sufferers of acute back pain. Combining massage with other treatments, such as physical therapy and chiropractic, is likely to produce best results. In addition, back massages, in combination with non-medical treatments, back exercises and good diet, ensures gradual pain relief.
Massage may also improve blood circulation in the body, which aids in the recovery of muscle soreness due to physical activity and helps improve range of motion. Muscle relaxation may also help in the treatment of insomnia.
The increase in endorphin levels is actually one of the greatest benefits of the massage therapy. Endorphins are body chemicals that lend a feel-good feeling, which is very effective in managing chronic pain.
It is important to ensure that precautions are exercised while receiving massage therapy. Your muscles should relax in response to the pressure applied by a massage therapist, in the absence of which, it is possible that muscles might become inflamed. In such cases, you should not opt for back massages as a treatment option and consult your doctor prior to the treatment. Most muscle spasms require four to eight massage treatments, usually spread over a six weeks period, to achieve optimal results.
If you have severe lower back pain, it is advisable that you undergo a thorough medical checkup before commencing the massage therapy.
Massage therapists are considered health practitioners and massage therapy is often covered under many health benefit plans because of its proven healing and beneficial results.
Massage is private and safe. Depending on the type of massage you receive, partial body, full body, 30 minute to 90 minutes you may have to undress completely or not at all. The room is always warm and comfortable with light music on. At Purity health and Wellness, we strive to create a comfortable environment, but if the environment makes you uncomfortable, do not hesitate to inform us. Your massage should be a relaxing and pleasant experience. That being said, if a therapeutic massage was requested, you may feel certain levels of pain/discomfort during parts of your massage, as some techniques used are more intensive. However, if you feel anything that makes you uncomfortable or lead to unmanageable pain, do not hesitate to speak up.
- Shane Rideout RMT